Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Empty Nest

The prompt from A Year in the Life of an Art Journal this month is BIRD. Here's the details!
This is my take on it....

Empty Nest

I had pre-painted this spread but didn't like the colors so painted it over with white acrylic. That didn't suit my mood so I plastered it with blue acrylic paint. Perfect! I intended to use white acrylic ink to add the details but when I cleaned my dip pen I splotched the paint with windex. I loved the result so created the three egg shapes in the lower right corner using more windex. Then I rubbed a bit more away until I got this nice speckled effect. I used a white Sharpie Poster Paint pen to add the details of two bird shapes and some lines. From there I just filled in areas with designs and patterns as I felt lead. I wanted a full, unexpected,  busy look to it since that is how I am feeling about having adult children right now. Its sort of crazy and chaotic but lovely none the less! I also wanted the parent bird shapes to sort of fade away and blend in to the page to show we are not as prominent in the lives of our fledglings! A happy celebration of a new life stage!

5 comments:

  1. I love the Line work Trish! It is very striking against the background.

    Cheers
    Heather
    Kookaburralaughing.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is STUNNING!! I still have two in the nest, but have one that has flown... and it's definitely something only someone that has experienced it can truly understand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw Rachel! Thanks! I truly appreciate your support and comments!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this is amazing, totally impressed with the penwork!!


    Brigitta

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you...love working with sharpie pens on acrylics. Give it a try!

    ReplyDelete