Friday, December 16, 2011

My Rooted Technology Meme

I came across this meme here and decided to give it a whirl. Obviously I am a beginning genealogist and one that is not much more interested than in her own personal family story at this juncture. None the less its a great meme to go through since there is so much information in the original one that may lead to wonderful resources and ideas to further my search. So its clear I have NO genealogy tech cred but as you can see I now know some things to work on!
  • Technology you already use: bold face type
  • Technology you would like to use or learn more about: italicize (color optional)
  • Technology you don’t use, have no interest in using or no longer use: plain type
  • Explain or give opinions in brackets [     ] at the end of each bullet point
  1. I have a tablet computer such as an iPad that I use for genealogy[not yet . . . toying with the idea though]
  2. I have downloaded one or more apps to a Smart Phone or similar device.
  3. I belong to a genealogy society that uses social media. [This may change once we are settled in one place but that is a ways off still].
  4. I use GEDCOM files and understand the various compatibility issues involved. [Are you kidding me? I'm a newbie] 
  5. I have added metadata to some of my files and digital photos.
  6. I have utilized an API from a genealogy-related application or website.
  7. I have taken a DNA test related to my genealogy research.
  8. I have used the FamilySearch Research Wiki. 
  9. I have a Facebook account and use it regularly for genealogy.[I need to check in to how people are using fb for genealogy.]
  10. I use tech tools to help me cite my sources in genealogy research. 
  11. I have developed a genealogy-related app for a Smart Phone or similar device. 
  12. I use a genealogy database program (Family Tree Maker, Legacy Family Tree, RootsMagic etc.)
  13. I use cloud computer resources to store my genealogy data.
  14. I have made one or more contributions to the FamilySearch Research Wiki.
  15. I have attended a genealogy webinar.
  16. I have organized and administered a DNA testing group related to my genealogy.
  17. I use apps involving GPS and Geo-caching for my genealogy research. 
  18. I have a Google+ account and use it regularly for genealogy.
  19. I have created and published a family history e-book. [Heritage album]
  20. I have create a wiki related to my genealogy research.
  21. I have conducted a genealogy webinar as a presenter. 
  22. I read genealogy-related blogs to help improve my own research.
  23. I have one or more genealogy-related blogs to help improve my own research.
  24. I have a Twitter account and use it regularly for genealogy.
  25. I have one or more genealogy-related websites which I run and administer. 
  26. I have created a screencast or video related to genealogy and posted it at a video sharing site (Vimeo, YouTube, etc.). 
  27. I use one or more digital tools to capture and record my family history.

No comments:

Post a Comment