Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Art films

Had to share that I watched "Who the @#)& is Jackson Pollock?" yesterday and  found it frustrating for a couple reasons. First, I wasn't all that interested in the truck driver's life story (sorry) and secondly I found the "art community" to be snobbish, elitist, and boorish as a whole. I certainly hope the art community has changed but I think at that level it probably has not. Sad. Art is meant to be an expressive outlet of the inner spirit. For me, art is connecting to myself, the people I love and ultimately to God. Referring back to the van Gogh quote I used a few days ago..."The more I think, the more I feel that there is nothing more truly artistic than to love people." I think the people in the "inner circle" of the art world missed that point.

Today I am watching "How to Draw a Rabbit" (about Ray Johnson) and find the topics of mail art and collage so interesting. I appreciated the time they took to look closely at his pieces, sharing the tiny details of the collages, etc. It was refreshing to know he wasn't involved with drugs, etc despite the prevalent atmosphere of the times. Loved the interviews with Christo and Jean-Claude about Malka and "Andy" (Warhol), his mailman and Chuck Close. I will say that I am just as mystified now as before about his performance art but then again, I never understood Kafka either. And I would never agree there is anything artistic about suicide. 

No comments:

Post a Comment